**As of April 22, 2010, after publication and initial online post, The Boise Capital Soccer Club and Les Bois have merged their two respective youth soccer programs. The new name is FC NOVA. Check back for future updates, changes and contact information.
Spring is here and it’s time to get your kids outside playing and enjoying the fresh air! Sports are an excellent way to encourage your kids, keep them healthy, and get them outside. Soccer is one of the oldest sports around and is popular in both the United States and all over the world.
Kids on competitive clubs play both in the fall and the spring for most age groups. Recreational clubs offer separate fall and spring seasons, teams do not travel, and there are no standings.
Here in Boise, there are many local soccer clubs for both indoor and outdoor soccer. If you’ve thought about putting your child in soccer, but don’t know where to start, here are a few clubs for you to check out. Be sure to investigate time commitment and practice and game locations. Costs vary widely.
Just starting to play soccer? Check out the Meridian Police Activities League (www.meridianpal.org, 888-6030) and the various opportunities to learn and play on a PAL team. During the spring and summer seasons, check to see if the area Parks and Recreation Depts. are offering soccer clinics too. You can find Department listings and contact information in this month’s 2010 Summer Camp Guide.
The Treasure Valley Family YMCA (www.ymcatvidaho.org) also offers youth soccer programs geared for kids ages 3–4th grade who are new to the sport.
Boise Capital soccer club
• Founded in 1990
• Have an Academy Tots Program for kids aged 3–4 years
• In 2007, sent 8 teams to the Far West Regional’s representing Idaho, with 6 teams reaching the quarterfinals
• Sent teams to US Club Soccer Regional Championships and the National Cup Championships
• Players either have played, or are currently playing, at the collegiate level at over 30 schools
• In 2006, entire U-18 teams received college scholarship offers
Boise Indoor Soccer
• Indoor soccer league
• Recreational league or competitive teams
• Youth leagues U4–-U15
• Leagues have 8 games per session
• Tournaments held every few months
• Facility built in 1998 – Let’s Play Sports Inc.’s tenth facility in the U.S.
Boise Nationals Soccer Club
• Founded in 1986 – oldest youth soccer club in Idaho
• 28 competitive teams
• 10 State Cup Championships
• Girls teams nicknamed “Blast”
• 6 players recently signed with colleges
• Tryouts in May
• Boys competitive soccer club
• U11–U13 teams
Idaho Rush Soccer club
• Formed in 2006
• Merger of Capital Youth Soccer Association (CYSA), Rush Soccer and other local competitive soccer clubs
• CYSA has 30+ year history in the valley
• Recreational teams up to U12 and competitive teams up to U18
• Winter indoor training available
• Have a College Advisory Program (CAP), which helps high school students prepare for college both academically and athletically
Idaho Soccer Center LLC
• Indoor soccer league
• Recreation league for kids ages Pre-K to 6th grade
• Have seasons all year long
• If you don’t know indoor rules, they are listed on their website
• Also have a Pro Shop inside the facility
• Founded in 1992
• 64 Idaho State Cup Championships
• 4 US Club Soccer Region Finalists
• 2 Snicker National Cup Region IV Finalists
• Players awarded more than $1 million over 4 years in soccer scholarships and more than $800,000 over 4 years in academic scholarships
• This year 15 seniors have signed with colleges and 2 juniors have verbal commitments
West Valley Soccer Club
• Wolfpack United Soccer Association is now West Valley Soccer Club
• West Valley Academy—program specifically designed for players age 5–10
In addition, there are many adult leagues in the area for parents wanting to get into the sport or just keep in shape! Boise Indoor Soccer and Idaho Soccer Center both have adult indoor leagues that play once a week.
Janelle DiOrio is a recreational soccer player whose stepdaughter, Cody (9), just played in the quarterfinals of the California State Sweet 16 Soccer Tournament!